Monday, June 29, 2009

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.


I recently finished reading this book and I found it to be a pretty good read. The way it was written, the story behind it, and the history of it all. It is the story about a girl's transformation from being born into poverty but ending her life in wealth. What caused her to live in wealth? Her feet.

This book talks a lot about foot binding - the process of how it's done and the hardships you encounter during the process. It is mentioned that women (only those of the right status) have their feet bound partially to test if they can endure the pain. If they can, then it shows that they can also endure the pain of childbirth - and women in those days were mainly useful for providing sons (depending on the parents, people were indifferent about having daughters). Anyway, according to the book, feet that are bound are considered very attractive to the opposite sex. But after reading this book, I googled "foot binding" and I find it pretty repulsive, it's no wonder how some people died from this.




But anyway, though this book is Fiction, it helped me to learn about China's history while keeping my interest. So I recommend this book to anyone who's interested in that or in just a quick read. If you have any recommendations on books for me to read, please do so! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment